For only $1 per child we can support a child to thrive through play
Please Donate now!
This low to the ground swing is a great playground element for swinging and rocking.
1. Cut off bark of timbers with a machete and paint.
2. Cut full sidewall and rim bead off of both sides of one dump truck tire.
3. Cut dump truck tire from step 2 in half at an acute angle with a wood file and brut force.
4. Grind down exposed tire tread wires with a grinder.
5. Cut out rectangular piece at both ends of tire tread of dump truck tire.
6. Cut sidewall with rim beads and second sidewall off on both sides of one dump truck tire. Width of second sidewall is 38 mm / 1.5”.
7. Make one cut along the width of the 3.8 cm / 1.5” creating a side wall band and loop through the rectangular cut out of the dump truck from step 5.
8. Cut out small section of tire tread of motorcycle tire.
9. Dig holes and bury four 2000 mm / 6.6’ timbers 400 mm / 16” into the ground. Next, fill holes with cement mixture.
10. Place 1000 mm / 3.3’” timbers on buried timbers and nail down timbers with a hammer.
11. Drill three holes where the sidewall bands are in contact with the timbers. Next, screw in lag bolts and washers.
12. Place motorcycle tire treads and over sidewall bands and nail down motorcycle tire treads to the timbers.
x 4 Timbers, 2000 mm / 6.6’ length, 100 mm / 4” diameter
x 4 Timbers, 1000 mm / 3.3’” length, 100 mm / 4” diameter
x 2 Dump Truck Tires
x 1 Motorcycle Tire
x 12 Nails
x 6 Lag Bolts
x 6 Washers
Drill and Bit
This plan is designed to be used in conjunction with your appropriate safety guidelines / standards and the advice of local skilled builders / engineers. If your location has no guidelines or standards, we have provided a summary of many of the most common hazards here.
This plan is for pre-school (4+) and school-age children, and are not designed for babies and toddlers. Designs will need to be redesigned for these age groups.
This element needs soft fall below it in the safe fall zone.
This element can have overlapping safe fall areas.
This element must have a clear safe fall area of 1500 mm (5′) around it.
Depending on the size of the tires this element may contain an entrapment hazard. All spaces more than 23.5″ (600mm) from ground level must not be between 3.5″ (89mm) and 9″ (230mm) in diameter in any direction.
All tires need to have holes drilled or cut at their lowest point to ensure good drainage. This will reduce the risk of mosquitos and their associated issues, such as malaria, etc. the sidewall is easier to cut than the tread for this purpose.
**IMPORTANT** Please see safety guidelines here for further details on the above safety points.
This LIABILITY DISCLAIMER and CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE WORDING is offered for support, guidance and advice only and should not be relied upon in place of professional or expert advice. We make no representation or warranty of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability or suitability with respect to the LIABILITY DISCLAIMER and CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE WORDING. Further, Playground Ideas make no representation that this LIABILITY DISCLAIMER and CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE WORDING adhere to any safety standards in your country and therefore each project/playground built should be assessed on an individual basis in order to ensure compliance with national safety standards in the applicable country.
To the maximum extent permitted by law, in no event will Playground Ideas be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, direct, indirect or consequential loss or damage, loss of profits or loss of opportunity arising out of or in any way connected with the any person acting or refraining from acting in reliance of the LIABILITY DISCLAIMER and CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE WORDING or for failure to comply with the national safety standards in the applicable country, whether based in contract, tort (including negligence), strict liability or otherwise.
This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. This means if you use or feature this work in any website, publication, presentation etc, you must clearly attribute/ credit the work to www.playgroundideas.org (but not in any way that suggests that PlaygroundIDEAS endorses you or your use of the work). You may not use this work for commercial purposes without explicit permission. You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work but you may create and add new work to the PlaygroundIDEAS design library to share. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/.